- The type of travel document you plan to travel with
- The country that issued your travel document
- Your nationality
- Your method of travel of Canada for this trip
Electronic Travel Authorization
Applying for an eTA is a simple online process. Most applicants get their eTA approval (via an email) within minutes. However, some requests can take several days to process if you’re asked to submit supporting documents. It is best to get an eTA before you book your flight to Canada.
Before you travel to Canada: Be aware that your eTA is linked to the passport you used to apply. You need to present this passport when you check-in to your flight to Canada. You don’t need to print out any special document.
The airline staff will scan your passport to confirm that you have a valid eTA. If you don’t have one, you won’t be able to board your flight.
When you arrive in Canada you’ll be greeted by an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). The officer will ask to see your passport and travel documents. Make sure you have your documents ready for an identity check.
A visitor visa (also called a temporary resident visa) is an official document that we stick in your passport. It shows that you meet the requirements needed to enter Canada.
Most travellers need a visitor visa to travel to Canada. You may also need one if you’re transiting through a Canadian airport on your way to your final destination.
You can apply for a visitor visa online or on paper.
Basic Visitor Requirements
There are basic requirements you will need to meet to visit Canada:
- Have a valid travel document, such as a passport: your passport must have at least one blank page including the last page, that’s where the visitor visa will be placed. Please check the expiry date on your passport. You may want to renew your passport before you submit your application.
- Have a valid eTA or visitor visa
- Be in good health: You may need a medical exam. Find out if you need a medical exam.
- Have no criminal or immigration-related convictions
- Convince a border services officer (BSO) that you have ties – such as a job, home, financial assets or family, that will take you back to your home country. As an example, provide evidence that shows that you own or rent a home, have children in school, a wife of husband in your home country, employment (letter from your employer stating your position, salary and that your job is been held while you are visiting Canada), bank statements, etc.
- Convince a BSO that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit by providing evidence as stated above.
- Have enough money for your stay. You need to have sufficient money to cover your expenses for the duration of your visit. (The amount of money you will need can vary) It depends on things such as how long you will stay, and whether you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives.
- You also may need a letter of invitation: Athletics Alberta is the organization inviting you to the World Master Athletics event. You will need to request a letter for each person who will participate in the event in Canada. Please provide the following information to request a letter of invitation:
- Complete name as it appears on your passport
- Date of birth
- Address and telephone number,
- Arrival date in Canada
- Departure date from Canada
- Name of the Hotel or residence where you are planning to stay in Canada
- How you are planning to pay for you expenses while in Canada
For additional information about the letter of invitation, please click here.
Please send this information to Paola, our athlete liaison for entry into Canada.
In most cases, you will be asked to give your biometrics, specifically your fingerprints and photo. You need to make an appointment for online or paper applications. If you apply at a Visa Application Centre (VAC), you can give your biometrics when you submit a paper application at a VAC,
If you gave biometrics in the past, you may not need to give them again. You only need to submit your biometrics once every 10 years. Find out if your biometrics are still valid. Click here
For additional information and to find out if you need to give biometrics, please click here
Most applications are processed in a few weeks or less. However, visa processing times depends on the visa officer and if you need to complete extra steps. Please apply well in advance.
For additional information regarding processing times in your home country, please click here.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us